Manufactured sand is a good alternative to the fast-depleting river sand
The world was caught unawares by the advent of the novel coronavirus pandemic and all sectors are bearing the brunt. Now, almost all industries are getting ready to operate at full steam with suitable precautions to revive the economy. The government is keen on developing infrastructure and this is sure to act as a boon for all related industries. The demand for sand is also sure to shoot up and what better than opting for the hassle-free manufactured sand (M-sand).
- For centuries, natural river sand has been the main constituent of all construction activities. The excavation of river beds lead to the depletion of this natural resource.
- Other factors like excessive in-stream sand and gravel mining caused the water levels to go down and also caused river bank erosion.
- The related issues skyrocketed making governments ban the extraction completely, to preserve the remaining sand. In some countries, it is heavily taxed.
- Sand researchers were in search of an alternative and thus zeroed-in on manufactured sand or M-sand.
Rocks, quarry stones or larger aggregate pieces are crushed into sand-sized particles to make M-sand.
Factors driving the production of M-sand
- Scarcity of natural sand
- Increasing demand for aggregates in the construction industry
- Strict government policies against illegal sand mining
- Presence of silt and clay in natural sand
- Reduces the wastage of by-products in the quarries
- Rapid growth of construction industry.
Advantages of M-sand
||M-sand can be produced closer to work site. Supply is assured and transportation cost is less
|Compliant with Indian standards
||The produced M-sand must be complaint to the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) guidelines. IS: 383:1970. This is for selection and testing of coarse and fine aggregates
||The land used for quarrying rock can be reused. River beds tend to be protected
|Good working properties
||Higher flexible strength, better abrasion resistance, higher unit weight and lower permeability
To ensure the production of superior quality M-sand, it has to be put through sieve analysis, optical microscopic study to check the particle shape, workability, cube test for compressive strength and adulteration test.
Using M-sand, will give us the satisfaction that we are doing out bit to protect the natural soil layer.
Promote M-sand! Protect the soil!