Every industry aims for higher productivity and mining does too. Most often than not, mining has its own share of issues which include downtime and low energy efficiency. A good process in place would yield better productivity and IoT acts as a tool to achieve this.
One would be surprised as to how much IoT can do to the mining industry. It can help
- Achieve cost optimization
- Achieve productivity optimization
- Improve safety measures
- Develop artificial intelligence needs
Electronics, internet connectivity and many other forms of hardware helps the Internet of Things (IoT) to communicate with other devices and people. What more, they can also be remotely monitored and controlled.
Digitalisation is the buzz word
IoT is going to rule the roost, especially in this pandemic scenario and even after it is done with. Digitalisation is the buzz word here. Day-to-day activities and digitalization must become one integral unit for a smooth road ahead.
Sensors in place
Mining companies are placing sensors on the equipment to map the performance. The data that is thus generated helps companies to look at the loop holes, optimise the cost, reduce downtime and improve productivity.
Safety under check
IoT acts as a boon to monitor underground mines on a real-time basis. Ventilation, toxicity levels and many other vital parameters are readily available. In case of a mishap, evacuation of people can be faster. IoT helps in moving from preventive to predictive maintenance. It also leads to the use of Artificial Intelligence.
IoT and AI will result in a more efficient overall process and will yield better results.
On the other hand…
While there are many positive aspects of using IoT in the mining sector, the downside is the connectivity issues.
- Underground mines may have very limited connectivity
- Internet signals may not be picked up in remote locations.
- It would be a challenge to apply IoT systems to mines which have been dug really deep.
To a great extent, these challenges can be overcome by implementing more reliable connectivity methods and also by putting in place proper strategies for data-processing. Satellite communications can be used for faster and reliable data transfer. Investment in security systems is also important to protect data.
Why should IoT systems be incorporated?
- Certain failure modes can be identified and predicted ahead of time.
- Machines will become reliable and will show better performance.
- Data can be collected and analysed. Design team can cull out learning from the data and improve the machine design.
- We can help customers through remote support and optimisation
- Crushing circuit performance will be improved.